Saturday, January 10, 2009

Happy New Year! (so ten days ago)

Kind of hoping that the word doesn't get too far out, but Baltimore's 34th st kicks Times Square in the dropped ball, 'sfar as I'm concerned. While my new years eve plans have rarely moved past the point of eating Too Much Chex Mix -- and still haven't really gotten much better than that -- I did actually find myself out and about on this last December 31. We wandered the cold streets of the neighborhood of Hampden until we got to the famous (well, just a little) Christmas displays adorning a certain block of 34th st (think nativity scenes with Minnie Mouse, multiply that by "what?", and you're almost there). See a video someone shot here -- not sure what's going on at first, haven't been inclined to find out -- the ball drop commences around the 4:50 mark).

Things I liked about this:

- It was awesome

- You could arrive about 4 minutes to midnight and get a great vantage point

- Some hippie-ish types with a guitar and (?? - some spoons, a coffee can, don't remember) were asking one another "what could we sing that we could get everyone singing along to?" and then sang Beyonce's "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)" -- and none present let not knowing a word of the verse stop them. Good song, and great that night.

- I got just inspired enough to yell "BALL!" several times, at the absolute top of my lungs, by way of encouraging said ball to drop.

- I still got to eat Too Much Chex Mix

Happy New Year Everyone!

1 comment:

Followers